Saturday, February 7, 2009

Smooth Sailing

My shift was all in all pretty smooth. Mallory was back! Yay!

Once I got to the station, I caught up with the reporters to find out more about their stories. At the same time, I grabbed their cards to so we could work on the images right away. Note to self, don't take the cards from the reporters without asking (or when they're out to lunch...) because that will freak both the reporters and the producers out. Mallory and I picked out at least 3 images that we could use on the web. We also named the files differently so it was easier to find later. The reporters all had great video so the images really enhanced the web!!

While Mallory cropped the pictures and messed with the color balance, I made sure KOMU.com was all updated. We ended up fixing the images for several stories on the front page. I really do think those images play a huge role in determining  if a viewer wants to keep reading that story. I was also impressed with the quality of importing the images from the cards--not from Avid. They look 100 times better!! 

Unlike last week, the web extras weren't as interesting as last week's... but Kristin, Mal, and I were busy writing non-B3 reporters' stories on ACM. We actually got all of the stories (without video) up before the end of 6 pm newscast!! Go team Friday!! 

1 comment:

  1. I want to see examples! I want to see links!! BTW - a few things about the cool video you edited last week. 1. The video is 16:9 but KOMU.com is 4:3. You needed to crop the video. I didn't even think about that when you were working on the project. 2. You should write a summary about what the video is about so people have a reason to click play on the video. 3. Add a link back to the original story so the viewer can return to where they started.

    ReplyDelete